It is BYC’s tradition for the commodore to select the theme for Opening Day of Boating Season.
Since Commodore Jody’s motto is: “Hats off to Members,” she has selected “Run for the Roses” as the theme for 2013’s Opening Day Boat Parade. So Ladies, select your hats! Men get your derbies ready!
Derby Days Attire
Derby Days Traditions
Call to the Post! (when the trumpet sounds on April 4th) And we’re off! Get ready for Mint Julips, Bourbon, Oyster Roasts, BBQ and more.
Here is a link for Kentucky Derby Traditions.
Derby Days Events
Spring Dinner Dance, Saturday, April 13th
“In the Pink” Spring Dinner Dance featuring the Starlites. Look for your official invitation and Derby Days Event Card in the mail.
Emerald Downs Bus to see the Ponies, Sunday, April 21st.
We will have box seats waiting for us. Wear your hats! Sign up at the club.
Open House and CharterFest: Saturday, April 27th featuring the Jasmine Green Band
- All committees please plan to have members be available from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. to attend booths and answer questions.
- The Bar will be open and the Pirates’ grill will be hot from 11 a.m. until ?
- Band begins at 5 p.m.
Fridays @ 5, May 3rd is the traditional party before the PARTY.
(Kentucky Oaks Race is on Friday, May 3rd)
BBQ, Beer, Bourbon & Moonshine
Saturday, May 4th – BYC hosts the traditional Opening Day Ceremony
- Champagne Brunch 10:00 a.m.
- Official Ceremony and Blessing of the Fleet, 11:00 a.m.
- Boats Away at 1:00 p.m.
- The BYC Party Begins 3:00 p.m. – Kentucky Derby Race
- Hat Competition (Oh, Yes–there will be prizes)
- The Atlantics Play from 5 until ?
- Bourbon Tasting